If magic had a taste, it would taste like these dumplings. Warm, heady, boozy, spicy and sweet. The ultimate warm winter dessert.
Golden apple dumplings in syrup
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 75 g wholemeal flour
- 10 g mixed peel
- 25 g caster sugar
- 25 g butter
- 1 granny smith apple
- 75 g naturally sweetened plain yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 250 g brown sugar
- 800 mL water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 100 mL brandy
- Put the flour, peel and sugar in a mixing bowl, then rub in the butter.
- Peel, core and finely dice the apple.
- Mix the apple with the flour, along with the yoghurt and egg, to make a dough.
- Boil the water, sugar and vanilla in a deep frying pan. (Note: This smells amazing! Make these dumplings and your house will smell like Christmas.)
- Make 12 balls from the dough and carefully place them in the pan so they are not touching.
- Boil the dumplings for 12 minutes, turning the dumplings every few minutes and spooning syrup over the top of them.
- Turn off the heat and pour the brandy over the dumplings, mixing the brandy through the syrup.
- Serve with an extra dollop of yoghurt.